BMW F 900 R and F 900 XR 2020 models
- All new F 900 R and F 900 XR expand BMW product range in popular adventure sport segment
- Set to arrive in Australia during first half of 2020
- Both models based on powerful shared backbone while offering different character and positioning
The all-new F 900 R and F 900 XR that have just been revealed to the world at the International Motorcycle Show in Milan will be introduced to the Australian market in the first half of 2020.
The new dynamic roadster from BMW Motorrad combines sports-style, aggressive design and inspiring performance via enhanced engine output, torque and sound.
Both the F 900 R and F 900 XR deliver high levels of versatility and suitability for everyday riding while offering ergonomics that are designed to appeal to both experienced riders and newcomers.
BMW F 900 XR – a genuine “XR” for the mid-range
“XR” stands for an uncompromising mix of sportiness and touring capability. Having established this family with the BMW S 1000 XR, BMW Motorrad is now expanding it with the addition of a mid-range model.
The F 900 XR also demonstrates easy mastery of the adventure sport segment’s key qualities: sporty riding dynamics combined with upright, GS-like ergonomics, outstanding long-distance and passenger suitability and a design that conveys a distinct sense of character.
The new F 900 XR also benefits from the technology transfer from the upper class: Adaptive Cornering Light, Keyless Ride or Intelligent Emergency Call are all unique features in the mid-range segment.
As well as providing an option for sporty riders, the XR is also aimed at newcomers and motorcycle returnees due to its easy accessibility, low minimum seat height, A2 capability and attractive entry price.
Benchmark technology and enhanced riding dynamics
The F 900 R and F 900 XR set the technological benchmark in the mid-range segment with their level of standard equipment, including Connectivity and LED all round as standard and their wide range of optional extras. These extras in some cases are unique in this class and include Adaptive Cornering Light, Keyless Ride, Dynamic ESA, Riding Modes Pro, Shift Assistant Pro, Intelligent Emergency Call, ABS Pro, MSR, DTC, DBC and RDC.
Drive comes from a 2-cylinder in-line engine with increased capacity and power along with new engine drag torque control.
This unit, which was first introduced in 2018 on the F 850 GS, also provides enhanced riding dynamics.
It now produces 77kW and an even fuller torque curve thanks to an increase in capacity from 853cc to 895cc. It complements this with an evocative sound, which is the result of an ignition distance of 270/450 degrees and a new underfloor silencer system.
In addition to the standard anti-hopping clutch, the new F 900 R and F 900 XR can be fitted with engine drag torque control (MSR) for the first time. This prevents the rear wheel from slipping as a result of abrupt throttling or downshifting and thereby ensures even greater levels of safety.
Adjustable riding modes elevate character
The new F 900 R and F 900 XR offer the “Rain” and “Road” riding modes as standard, while ABS and ASC Automatic Stability Control are also offered at the base specification level.
Ex works option “Riding Modes Pro” allows the sporty characteristics of the new F 900 R and F 900 XR to be fully realised.
The additional riding modes “Dynamic” and “Dynamic Pro”, Dynamic Traction Control DTC and banking capable ABS Pro are available, along with Dynamic Brake Control (DBC) and the new engine drag torque control (MSR).
Advanced construction including a world first
The new F 900 R and F 900 XR make use of a steel bridge frame that integrates the engine as a load-bearing element and a fuel tank that is now back in its classic position in front of the rider.
Front wheel control is handled by an upside-down telescopic fork, while the rear wheel is guided by a double-sided swinging arm with central suspension strut.
The lightweight plastic-welded fuel tanks with a capacity of 15.5 litres (F 900 XR) and 13 litres (F 900 R) are a world first in motorcycle construction.
The bolt-on steel rear frame has also been newly developed for the F 900 R and F 900 XR in order to create a visually short and slim rear. While the new F 900 R is a dynamic roadster focusing on sporty use and therefore shorter spring travel, the new F 900 XR – with its somewhat longer spring travel – offers a noticeable increase in comfort and therefore an even wider range of potential uses.
BMW Motorrad Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment), which is available as an optional extra, further enhances the dynamic riding experience and riding comfort. The system allows damping of the rear spring strut to automatically adapt to the conditions depending on the riding state and manoeuvres.
The Adaptive Cornering Light is unique in the mid-range segment as part of the optional extra Headlight Pro, while powerful LED lighting units are offered as standard equipment.
Even greater safety is provided by the Adaptive Cornering Light as a component of Headlight Pro, which is unique in the mid-range and comes as an optional extra ex works. The rider can benefit from improved illumination of the road when cornering for even safer riding at night.
Colour 6.5-inch TFT screen with BMW Motorrad Connectivity offered as standard
BMW Motorrad developers attached great importance to optimum readability for the instrument cluster, even in difficult lighting conditions.
In addition, information diversity, display quality and user-friendliness were developed to maximise the experience for all riders.
Graphics on the screen are visually adapted to sporty on-road riding, while additional core screens are available in conjunction with the optional Pro riding modes.
The standard BMW Motorrad Connectivity is a unique feature in the mid-range segment, offering the ability to conveniently talk on the phone, listen to music or navigate while riding.
Thoughtful ergonomic features
The F 900 R offers a particularly sporty, active seating position while the F 900 XR delivers an impressively active yet relaxed riding position for touring and travelling.
The front fairing, which includes an adjustable windshield, combines a sporty look with sound rider protection.
Various low and high seats along with the optional lowering feature also allow individual adjustment to various body heights.
Colour and style options
Three dynamic colour and style variants are available for the new F 900 R and F 900 XR that allow the rider to personalise to their taste and preferences.
The new F 900 R is available in Blackstorm metallic, San Marino Blue metallic and Style Sport in Hockenheim Silver metallic/Racing Red.
In addition to Light White, the new F 900 XR offers two Style variants: Style Exclusive in Galvanic Gold metallic and Sport in Racing Red.
Highlights of the new BMW F 900 R and F 900 XR:
- BMW F 900 R: the dynamic roadster for purist riding fun
- BMW F 900 XR: a genuine “XR” for the mid-range
- Powerful common backbone integrates the developed 2-cylinder in-line engine with an increased capacity of 895 cc (previously 853 cc)
- Further enhanced output and torque: 77 kW at 8, 750 rpm and 92Nm at 6,500 rpm
- More than 87Nm torque in the relevant lower speed range from 4,500 to 8,500 rpm
- 35kW version available for licence class A2
- High level of running smoothness due to two opposed counterbalance shafts
- Two riding modes “Rain” and “Road” as well as ABS and ASC as standard
- Riding Modes Pro with two further riding modes as well as Dynamic Traction Control (DTC), ABS Pro, Dynamic Brake Control (DBC) and engine drag torque control (MSR) as ex works options
- Steel bridge frame for optimum rigidity, robustness and riding precision
- Newly developed slim steel rear frame
- World first in motorcycle construction: light, plastic-welded fuel tanks with a capacity of 13 litres (F 900 R) and 15.5 litres (F 900 XR)
- Front upside-down telescopic fork and aluminium double-sided swinging arm with rear central suspension strut
- Spring travel: 135mm (F 900 R) and 170 mm (F 900 XR) at front, 142mm (F 900 R) and 172mm (F 900 XR) at rear
- Electronic suspension adjustment Dynamic ESA at rear as an ex works option
- ABS Pro for even greater safety when braking at an angle as an ex works option
- Sophisticated ergonomics and numerous seat alternatives
- Fairing with practical wind and weather protection and adjustable windshield (F 900 XR)
- Adaptive Cornering Light unique in the mid-range as part of the ex works option Headlight Pro
- Perfectly readable colour 6.5-inch TFT screen with BMW motorcycle connectivity as standard
- Powerful LED lighting units all round as standard
- Intelligent Emergency Call as an ex works option for swift assistance in emergency situations
- Keyless Ride for convenient activation of the locking functions by remote control as an ex works option
- F 900 R in dynamic roadster design with muscular front section, aggressive headlight graphics and short, slim rear section
- F 900 XR in Adventure Sport look with striking contours and sporty, dynamic fairing
- High-quality workmanship down to the last detail
- Three powerful colour and style variants each for unmistakable roadster and adventure sport characters
- Extensive range of optional extras and Original BMW Motorrad Accessories as well as rider equipment
The BMW Group
With its four brands BMW, MINI, Rolls-Royce and BMW Motorrad, the BMW Group is the world’s leading premium manufacturer of automobiles and motorcycles and also provides premium financial and mobility services. The BMW Group production network comprises 30 production and assembly facilities in 14 countries; the company has a global sales network in more than 140 countries.
In 2018, the BMW Group sold over 2,490,000 passenger vehicles and more than 165,000 motorcycles worldwide. The profit before tax in the financial year 2018 was € 9.815 billion on revenues amounting to € 97.480 billion. As of 31 December 2018, the BMW Group had a workforce of 134,682 employees.
The success of the BMW Group has always been based on long-term thinking and responsible action. The company has therefore established ecological and social sustainability throughout the value chain, comprehensive product responsibility and a clear commitment to conserving resources as an integral part of its strategy.