Detachable saddle bags are a terrific addition to any Harley-Davidson.
They make the transition from cool daily cruiser to weekend touring motorcycle an easy task. In this video, below, we demonstrate how easy it is to fit detachable saddlebags and a backrest or sissy bar to a Softail Harley-Davidson. We also point out a few tips to ensure the saddlebags won’t come off while riding. One of the most common causes of saddlebags falling off motorcycles is not ensuring the locking mechanism is fully secured. We show you how to check that the latch is firmly locked into position.
Here is the recommended procedure, from Harley-Davidson’s Detachable saddle bags kit instruction sheet, for maintenance of the Docking Point Screws.
Failure to tighten hardware to the specified torque could result in damage to the installed accessory. (00508b)
After 500 miles (800kms) of on-road use with the saddlebags installed, check the torque on the docking point mounting screws. Maintain the proper torque and tighten screws if necessary.
- Upper docking point screws, 21-27 ft-lbs (28.5-36.6 Nm).
- Lower front docking point screws, 12-18 ft-lbs (16.3-24.4 Nm).
- Saddlebag lower support arm screws, 60-90 in-lbs (6.8- 10.2 Nm).
Saddlebag Docking Points
NOTE: In time, the docking points may wear causing the saddlebag connections to become loose. The fit may be tightened using the following procedure:
- Remove docking hardware (screws).
- Clean threadlocker residue off of screw threads.
- Apply Loctite 243 – Blue to last four threads of docking point screws.
- Install screws loosely for now.
- Rotate docking points clockwise approximately 45° from their previous position.
- Tighten the docking hardware as follows.
- 21-27 ft-lbs (28.5-36.6 Nm) for upper docking points.
- 12-18 ft-lbs (16.3-24.4 Nm) for lower front docking points.
- Repeat as required, up to three adjustments. After the third adjustment, new docking points must installed.
Apply the Harley-Davidson Genuine Leather Dressing included with the saddlebag according to the instructions in the leather care kit. Additional jars are available from a Harley-Davidson dealer (H-D Part Number 98261-91V).
Periodically oil the snaps using a small amount of motor oil or all-purpose household oil.
Click Here to purchase RH-D Tas Devil Clothing